Thursday, November 09, 2006

beast

Last day of urban hike.
I'm utterly exhausted today. I am still loving it, but I am sick and low on sleep, and I have been working my butt off already for 15 hours. We don't get picked up to go to the church until 9:30 and then we still have debrief. Tommorro we get to sleep in. . . 6:45. Oh well, I guess we can sleep in the van on the way home.

All of this has twisted my mind around so much. There are so many opinions, so many approaches to the problem, and so many definitions of the problem. I have my own, but would it be the right one? Every piece is important to the puzzle.

So many of these places remind me of a pound, an spca for people. We take them in, clean them up, try to treat them with kindness and hope that they find a home. It sounds so crude, but it's true. I didn't start to think about it that way until I was cleaning everything with bleach, spraying things down with hoses. We feed them so fast. We work for hours upon hours, and within an hour they have gone through the line and eaten their fill. It's all about making sure they don't freeze to death, keeping them fed, and letting them have a few hours of sleep. They are all woken up and out of bed by 6 every morning.

So many people are devoting their lives to helping. I have thought about devoting my life to this. I'm still thinking about it. It just amazes me, the total difference in culture.

When we first got here, all I could see was the need, and I was so upset, horrified. Today, after a long day of work, and a lot of talking to people and listening to them, I started to feel frusterated with them as much as us. There were day jobs, paying 15.00 an hour posted over the intercom all day. 500 people sat in the cafeteria and never even thought about trying to get up and go make some money to get out of their predicament. The jobs were never all filled. I was sad again, but in a different way.

Then I heard a homeless lady talking about a boy she knew who froze to death last night on the street. He had alcahol in his system. He couldn't make it to the drop in centre.

How do I handle that news?

Is is our fault? Should we have picked him up, drug him to a bed, and forced food down his throat? He had opportunities that he didn't take. Did he choose his own death?

My thoughts sound so cruel to my own ears.

Am I a beast? Or am I trying to solve a problem with my pinkie finger that I could neverf solve with both hands?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My dear daughter!!! Your blog is so good! I so enjoyed reading it. Your insights are awsome. Remember, ask God all those hard questions.Only He has the answers. You are growing SO much. I'm glad the urban hike was as long as it was so you could see it from many angles. Now ask God to sort it out for you and show you truth, and He will.

Anonymous said...

AJ Says...
My dear Niece... i guess mom and i choose to catch up all in one night your writings are soo insightful. You give the reader just enough detail to know where your at but with hold enough that we don't know all the details and apply the truth to our own thoughts, if that made any sence!? your the on that can write. The most impressive thing is the insight from the Lord, what a blessing to have a year, or two if you choose, to just focus on him and learn more and more of him. I look forward to the ansewers he gives you to your hard questions. Bless you Girl your in my prayers and on my heart always.

Heather's Blessed Life said...

Your Mom said it so well! I can't imagine the thoughts that would be going through your mind. Everything that God has shown you in the past week must be mind boggling! I believe that everything happens for a reason, God has a pourpose for everyone and everything. He is using you so well in so many peoples lives! You have blessed so many people in the past week, in your life! I'm proud to be one of them! Keep writing...and try to get some sleep! God Bless!!
(drink coffee!)