We serve a God that delights in teaching us through things that make us go " what?"
Something that I have discovered over time is that God uses the little things, the hard things, the difficult things to turn us to him. For a long time I have known this, but the second part of the process wasn't so readily visable just a little while ago.
You know, the part where we have to submit to it. The part where we have to look to God in the midst of our distress and say " Ok God what exactly are you trying to teach me?" I think that unless we reach that point in the middle of our frusteration and confusion, God will just keep on giving us the same lesson over and over again.
" What a caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Creator calls a butterfly." Joni Erikson Tada.
We don't learn by absorption. If we did, I'm sure school and college would be a whole lot easier for all of us... walk in, absorb some knowledge, walk out smarter. No, we aren't created that way.
We are created to have to look for help. We are created so that we question and test and wonder, and finally, the light comes on; excited, stunned, and exstatic, we realize that we've got it. We figured it out.
We are designed to be interactive.
Marketting companies have had that figured out for years. Put a game on the end of a DVD. Invent a million kinds of video games. Teach interactively. Initiate conversation. Interact.
I realize that very often we don't interact with God. We notice the canvas of stars stretching across the sky, but we don't think to stop, thank him, wait for a response. We realize that we are going through something hard in our lives and that God might use it, but we don't go to him, asking him to show us what he is trying to teach us.
I think that we need to become a lot more interactive with God and a lot less passive about our relationship with him. I wonder how many more lessons he could teach us in a lifetime if we would look to him every time something hurts, and try to figure out what he is teaching us.
God uses the hard stuff.
When we let him.
2 comments:
Yes!! Awsome! we must remember that.
Go to Him---every time it hurts.
Every time we are sad, angry, confused, upset, outraged, --- anything that is not the Holy Spirit and peace.
And go to Him, knowing that He is who He is. PERFECT. No matter what. No matter if it doesn't make sense. He loves me perfectly. His plans for me are perfect. Ablolutly without flaw.
When it doesn't make sense, We just trust in His character unswervingly. And know He will make all clear eventually. And we will see and understand.
I love the quote by joni, i just took out her biography from the library.
Post a Comment