God has been directing my thoughts about marriage lately. I think that God has made marriage a collage of so many parallells. I start think about marriage, and i end up thinking about the christian life in general.
I was reading Ephesians 5. There are so many parts of being a christian that simply aren't convenient, and sometimes I think that we throw them away, toss them far from our minds, banish them to who knows where.
Verse one says' " Therefore be imitators of God as dear children." What a way to start a thought process. We are to be imitators of God. I think about the times that I get mad at Travis, or I "slip" and say a swear word. I think about the times that Travis gets mad at other drivers or flips off his boss. These are not Jesus moments. When we do this we are not doing a good job of imitating Christ.
Imitating God means that we have to be like him. Just like him. We have to strive to do what he does, think what he thinks, have the same opinions that he does. This is something we do in private, or in front of others. We don't really have to strive to be a wittness, we only have to strive to imitate Jesus.
Tolerance is something that seems to have found it's home in the christian faith recently. In fact, tolerance is preached everywhere by christians and non christians alike.
" Sure I heard that she was drinking and moving in with her boyfriend, but I wont confront her about it.
Hmm. Interesting. The funny thing is, tolerance is not supported by scripture. Verses 5 and 6 say,
Let no one decieve you with empty words, for because of these things the wrath of God comes upon the sons of disobedience. Therefore do not be partakers with them.
This does not sound like tolerance to me. i am forced to examine myself. How often do I pretend not to notice sin. God hates sin. I am sinning by ignoring sin.How often do I excuse someone because I donèt have the guts to say that what they are doing is wrong.
Jesus was a complex man. Learning to imitate him will take a lifetime. I am so excited to get started.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Awsome! Me too! And so true that we don't have to " witness". But to truly immitate Jesus, we are witnessing all the time. Of the fact that He is, and of what He is like.
Post a Comment