Thursday, August 30, 2007

little things

Sometimes it's the little things in life that just lift my heart... or affect my mood, whatever it is.
I notice so many little things about people. Today, I went to the library and looked through the books that are weeded out, and picked five, which costed one whole dollar. Honestly, who could leave behind the chance to get a literary wonder for only twenty cents? I didn't, however, have change for the books.

" Happy wedding!" The librarian said with a big smile, only three months late, and popped a loonie in the drawer.

Made my day.

Just a little thing.

Then I started to think about when I am wandering around IKEA by myself, waiting for Travis to get out of the bathroom. I bumped into someone, smiled at them, and said " Oh, I'm so sorry! " With all sincerity. She looked at me, scowled, and walked the other direction. Then, I said sorry to someone else when I didn't think I had done anything wrong. Again, I got the scowl and saw the back of her head.

Had they had too many icky little things happen to them? I wonder if they just stopped caring, stopped enjoying the little things, like a cheerful apology from a complete stranger in IKEA.

I thought that perhaps, I should pay more attention to the little things. The smiles, the flowers, the sunsets. God does a million little things for me every day. And then, when someone cuts me off in traffic, hopefully I won't scowl in their direction.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

No kidding! So True. Unfortunatly, people often react negativly to an appology like that. I guess if they are negative and nasty, someone else being sweet makes them feel meaner and nastier!? I notice that I see such a difference in people. What I mean is, I can spot someone with the light of Christ in them anywhere and so easily. In Alix the other day, I was walking from the grocery stor to my car and I caught the eye of an elderly lady. She instantly beamed at me, as though she recognized me and instantly liked me. I saw the light of Jesus so clearly in her eyes. She was beautiful! I smiled back and the moment went on. Neither of us knew the other, and yet we did, because we both recognized Jesus! And so many others have so much darkness in them. The scowl is ready, for any excuse.