Lately I have been musing on the whole " Your theology dictates your sociology" idea. I think that it is one of the best quotes that I have ever heard, and it goes so incredibly deep if you let it.
For instance, it's so interesting how when we speak with people about who they are interested in dating we will ask " so, are they a christian?" Really, when I think about it, that is such a shallow question. So many people call themselves christians, but their theology is certainly not all the same. Many people will say they are a Christian, and yet have no real interest in following God. Even for those of us who really DO want to follow God with everything that we have... we sometimes see things differently.
Those differences, translated to a marriage situation, would make an absolutely HUGE difference! Still, somehow the only question that we see fit to ask is " is he a Christian?" That is so ridiculous.
Remembering back to my teenage years, I dated a few fellows. One young man that I dated was a "christian," however looking back I seriously question whether he had a real relationship with God at all. That man was SO damaging to me. He hurt me worse than anyone else in my dating life ever did, because he was able to make me believe that if he wasn't pleased with me, God wasn't either. Nothing in the world could have hurt me more than that. Nothing in the world is more important to me than pleasing God, and one day hearing " well done, my good and faithful servant." The ways that this young man manipulated me were so cruel, and so damaging because I could have answered " yes" to the " is he a Christian?" question.
There were other young men that I dated, among them were even people who weren't believers at all. While these people hurt me as well, it was NOTHING compared to the pain that the "Christian" young man who wasn't really following God caused. No one who doesn't claim to be a Christian can try to make their approval and God's approval one and the same. They could hurt me, but not at the same capacity as someone who claimed to be saying what God was saying about me.
Your theology dictates your sociology. WHAT you believe about God, and how well you know him, are really the important things. Those are the important questions to ask.
Travis and I agree on childraising. We have the same stance on drinking, smoking, swearing, and gambling. We agree on our perception of God. We agree on the contract of marriage, and what exactly that means. We might not always get along, but our theology is the same. Both of us want, more than anything in the world, to have the deepest, most real, relationship with God that we possibly can have... and we will do anything to attain that.
We may not always have the same interests... but after a while you realize how much that really doesn't matter. When you see Jesus in your spouse, falling in love with them again becomes easier and easier daily. When you hear your spouse praying a heartfelt prayer, forgiveness becomes second nature. Out of your theology flows your sociology...
Out of your theology flows life...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
This is SOOOO true!! And don't I know it!
Yeah, most days, I don't think I'd wanna call myself a Christian just because of what it's become to say that.
Post a Comment